Saturday, December 22, 2012

Stacked Squares, 2

Another side glued of this plant container.
Excavating: As I peacefully cut tile pieces and fitted them together, I remembered Gd2 (2nd granddaughter) when she had just turned five last summer and was looking forward to kindergarten. When we had art sessions, she would methodically pick out markers and make squares and rectangles all lined up. She would struggle with those shapes to get them right and she certainly didn't want any coloring outside the lines.
In my mind's eye, I can see a small head bent over the paper, repeating, repeating, patiently repeating, impervious to what others were doing.
At that moment, "stacked squares" was her artistic voice. She was compelled to fill the page with those simple shapes. And apparently they remain in her artistic repertoire
as her recent kindergarten work shows. Stacking, stacking....

3 comments:

Roxanne said...

Perhaps your granddaughter has been influenced by your mosaic work. Naw, couldn't be. :))

bohemiannie! art said...

I love this so much. I've been the babysitter for the kids for my 5 yo GD all of her life...and she is quite the artist...and SO much like me it isn't funny. (Or maybe it is). I love your influence on her...or hers on you. :)

MulticoloredPieces said...

Being a granny beats motherhood--one has a second chance to see the world with wonder, and not have to be the responsible parent. The influence goes both ways.