Tuesday, February 26, 2013

2 To Go

Oh, man, look at all those leaves. I feel like I'm wading through the mire...
But oh, so beautiful...
Yesterday, I heard Ellen Anne Eddy talk about thread painting. She said that she would probably stitch a shape first then cut it out and sew it to a background to avoid the rippling. Ok, that must be the official way to do it, but I've been thinking that it would annoy me to work like that because I like working with the whole surface. I'm probably putting up resistance because I don't want to change my techniques. I know that the rippling (usually buckling in my case) will all quilt out.

4 comments:

Els said...

Ha, you can soon harvest yout pomegrenates .... they look appetizing !

Julierose said...

they look so real--good enough to eat!! Fabulous thread painting....Julierose

The Idaho Beauty said...

I've followed Ellen since the mid-90's. Something that always bothered me about her quilts, which in those days were always large, was that they never hung flat. Ripple ripple, buckle buckle to distraction! And easy to see why with the amount of stitching she put on them. So I was pretty interested when more recently I saw she was recommending this other way to do it. Don't know if it was her own desire for flatter quilts or if she just got tired of everyone pointing it out to her. ;-) In any case, I love love love what you are doing with this - just beautiful.

Kitchener Quilter said...

I know what you mean about the ripples. I have one on the go that no one has seen, that I've pretty much abandoned, because it has HUGE distortion. Don't know how to fix it. Not willing yet to cut it up, but that may be the only way! I have successfully blocked and steamed other pieces flat, but that's a chore.