Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Every Picayune Leaf?

Yeah, yeah, I know. When you sketch or paint a tree you're not supposed to draw every single leaf on the tree...leave something for the imagination. Proof that I know this--last night I added watercolors to a blind sketch in my sketch club agenda book. Just fooling around with the paint and colors, no expectations. 














Well, now, I feel like I'm drawing every picayune leaf on the Pomegranate Tree Quilt and I'm chafing at the bit.
This piece has been sitting under the presser foot for the last couple of weeks (or is it several weeks?). The size, of course, makes the going s-l-o-w as I stitch down all those oddball green shapes with a soft green thread. However, the idea that the machine stitching/appliqué adds another layer and more lines pleases me. And so I persevere. 

M-a-n, am I stubborn...












Linked to Nina's "Off the Wall Friday."

7 comments:

audrey said...

You may be stubborn, but your work certainly flourishes from that trait.:)

Martha said...

I'm intrigued by the idea of a blind sketch. Might give it a go. I have no artistic training - could be this is something that is common - but to me it is novel and intriguing. Sketches, stitching - all are lovely.

Mo Crow said...

there's something really calming & meditative about getting to know every leaf on a tree!

Carli The Quilter said...

Nice drawings, stitching in progress!

Linda A. Miller said...

Love the free fluidity of the drawing... and you will get there with the stitching!

Regina B Dunn said...

But your tree quilt is going to be so worth the time.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Stubborn or determined and patient. Semantics can be subtle, but powerful.