Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Reverse Side

A thought needs recording so I don't lose it entirely. The reverse side of stitching is often just as interesting as the front so here's the burgundy and blue stitching.

I like the subtleness of it (because subtle I am not), the regularity mixed with irregularity, emptiness contained. As I stitched yesterday, I tried to figure out how to incorporate this look into a piece. I could do the needleturn on the wrong side of a piece and have it lead into the needleturn on the right side, sort of a shadowy growth. Some slightly larger pieces of fabric needleturned to the wrong side would also allow me to reverse appliqué from the right side. Hmmmm. Lot of possibilities there. My back burner is the size of a house!

4 comments:

Margaret said...

Thanks for reminding us of the 'reverse' side of things...I was thinking you could photograph the back side, trace it out, and use the tracing as a hand-quilting or embroidery design on whole cloth...

MulticoloredPieces said...

Awwwww, Margaret, that would kill me!

Linda A. Miller said...

I like the subtlety, too. I am sure you will draw on some of what is on the back burner when the time is right.

Mo Crow said...

there is a lovely unknown quality to the reverse