Saturday, January 17, 2015

Bootkamp, 2

Another assignment for the Sketchbook Skool Bootkamp: copy an artist that you like. The choice was tough because color is my first love. There are the Impressionists, the Expressionists, the Fauves, etc. What about Paul Klee, Louis Moilliet, and Auguste Macke, whose exhibit about their 1914 trip to Tunisia I saw in December? Then there's Kandinsky, Matisse, Delauney, Turner, Franz Marc...the list is long. I flipped through my books and the internet and found a million possibilities. Overload. Basta. I went and fixed dinner.

Then I remembered Daumier, a 19th century French caricaturist with biting wit. I checked the internet. Bingo. In fact, I was dazzled by his sketches. The lines are wild and squiggly and scribbly, very fine with a few lines emphasized. Very little color. By the time I finished sketching, I had a very loose hand.
Apparently Daumier hated lawyers. The darkest figure has two faces, which took me a while to figure out as Daumier's sketch is a bit more subtle. This was fast and fun.


1 comment:

Martha said...

Intriguing and amazing, all at once. thanks.